Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cheezy

It's a miracle.  I'm actually writing a blog post...  my first one since the beginning of January.  Woops.

So for those of you who don't know, I am a pretty picky eater.  I don't like quite a few things, like seafood (I've tried!), mustard, cheese, etc.  Actually, I do like a couple kinds of cheese:  Kraft macaroni and cheese (but only the shapes - not the normal elbow noodles - it's all about the cheese to noodle ratio), and cheese on pizza.  But I think we all know that Kraft mac and cheese has less than stellar nutrition stats and ingredients.  (But the shapes are fun, you have to admit - who doesn't want to hang out with Spiderman or Spongebob at dinner?)  Also, I've been avoiding dairy as much as possible for the last few months - I was getting a lot of upset stomachs, and my skin was going kind of haywire, and I think avoiding dairy has really helped.


Anyways... when I saw Angela's recipe for Butternut Squash Mac 'n Cheeze, I knew I had to try it.  And I'm so glad that I did.  Finally, a homemade mac and cheese that I can enjoy!  And this one definitely does have some stellar nutrition stats.


I used a fresh butternut squash, extra virgin olive oil, Earth Balance, almond milk, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard (even though I don't like mustard, I couldn't taste this specifically), garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, kosher salt, pepper, whole wheat shell pasta (not as fun as shapes, but close!), spinach, and broccoli.


Even though it wasn't quite as good warmed up as it was freshly-made, it was still really tasty and I got 4 or 5 meals out of it!  I heart leftovers.  I know, I'm weird.



So if you're like me and don't like cheese (please tell me there's someone else out there like me!), or if you're avoiding dairy, or if you love butternut squash, or if you just like good, healthy food - try this recipe!  You'll like it.

I'm really going to try to post more regularly.  I haven't been doing a great job of balancing school stuff with healthy eating and exercise, so I need to hold myself more accountable.

Song of the day:

I can't stop listening to "Emmylou" by First Aid Kit.  It's heartbreakingly beautiful.


6 comments:

  1. a GC style comment, cuz I know you love them! :P)

    1) i love bnut squash and what a fun idea to put it into PASTA! I gotta try this! I usually just go with bnut fries (in the oven), which are pretty basic.

    2) Leftovers are awesome! For some reason I never get more than 1 or 2 extra portions... maybe cuz they boy and I can eat a LOT!

    3) i need to give nooch another shot! I was putting nutritional yeast on dishes for awhile and felt like EH, this aint all that great... but I've never actually gone ahead and made a SAUCE... now that I have a magic bullet I could totally do one of those nooch tahini cheezy sauces that I've been hearing about all over blog world. I'll have to go find some recipes!

    4) thanks for being such a great blog friend. I just felt like you needed to know how much I appreciate you checking in and leaving me comments and CARING. It means a lot! :)

    5) HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks sooo tasty!! I want some! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at these pictures is making me wish I had some more right now!

      Delete
  3. So funny that you just made this--I've been meaning to make this for weeks because I have a can of butternut squash in the pantry to use up! I've made it before and LOVED it..I'm totally gonna add peas this time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, great idea to use a can of butternut squash - I think that would work well! Ooh yum, adding peas sounds delicious. I want to make it again now!

      Delete